The Shop Fox W1713 Variable Speed Scroll Saw is a nice-looking saw that it is mostly sought after because of its performance. It usually comes in the color white with black details specially the light holder. It is a popular scroll saw not only in looks but also in quality and performance. In fact, its performance is one of the greatest things about this saw. It’s a scroll saw that features great power through its 110-Volt, 60Hz motor as well as excellent quality performance when cutting because of its blades for an impressive project finish.
Shop Fox W1713 Variable Speed Scroll Saw Features
- 1/8HP, 1-Amplifier
- 110-Volt, 60Hz motor
- 16-Inch maximum cutting width
- a gooseneck work light
- dust blower and dust port
- Plain or pin blades
- 550-1700 SPM no load speed
- Large, cast-iron 45° tilt table
- easy blade changes
- 2 inches maximum cutting thickness
- 16 inches maximum cutting width
- Shipping weight: 38 lbs.
The Shop Fox DW1713 Variable Speed Scroll Saw prides itself with its 1/8HP, 1-Amplifier 1/8HP, 1-Amplifier and a no load speed of 550-1700 SPM. This is what proves its great performance. It has sufficient power to cut hard woods running at any speed. It cuts perfectly because it does not vibrate even if it is not bolted down on the work bench. This eliminates risk of accidents and poor project results due to vibration. The blade also performs very well in this saw especially when it comes to making very straight cuts. It is even great-performing enough to make very tight rounded corners without having to make relief cuts. This saw’s great and excellent performance even allow users to cut a 1″ green Southern Yellow Pine, Maple and Oak easily. It features 2 inches maximum cutting thickness and 16 inches maximum cutting width and this paves the way to creating precise cuts.
The Shop Fox W1713 Variable Speed Scroll Saw features not only a compact appearance but also a very lightweight design with a shipping weight of 38 pounds, proving that it is very convenient to carry and move around. It also features easy blade changes so changing blades do not take long and is not inconvenient for the user. It even comes with a gooseneck work light that allows working on projects even at night or even in the dark. Its dust blower and dust port features are also very convenient because the dust blower clears dust away from the area where the blade is cutting through, making it easy for the user to see the blade and make precise cuts. Plus, the dust port keeps dust away from blowing on the face and causing health issues. It also features a large, cast-iron 45° tilt table that is also an added convenience feature with this scroll saw.
Excellent Design Feature
This Shop Fox W1713 Variable Speed Scroll Saw is a very compact saw that it looks cute and it looks lighter than most scroll saws. It is truly designed to be convenient because of its compact size. This saw also comes with a very nice paint job as it comes with a perfect color that makes it look attractive and a beautiful addition to the collection. The large cast-iron table also looks magnificent and very sturdy which makes it a reliable feature when working on any project.
Pros and Cons of Shop Fox W1713 Variable Speed Scroll Saw
The Shop Fox W1713 Variable Speed Scroll Saw is also a sought after scroll saw nowadays. Based on the reviews made by users of this saw, here are its pros and cons:
- Its weight is very convenient so even if work involves mounting up and down the stairs with this saw, it’s not a problem.
- It really performs great when it comes to the cuts it makes not only because it has the ability to make precise cuts but because it also has the ability to cut through hard wood.
- It is a fully-featured saw even with its compact size and the extras and features it contain are all very useful. They do not just exist for the sake of creating a product that’s full of features.
- It uses blades with or without pins so whichever you want to use, you can work using this scroll saw effectively.
- The price is a pro because it is affordable. You can save a lot of bucks buying this saw rather than buying an expensive saw that has unnecessary features.
- This saw is convenient not only in weight but also because of the light feature. You can work in the dark or at night as if you are working at daytime or in a very well-lit area.
- It reduces the amount of dust that could blow into your face because of its dust port feature. You lessen chances of inhaling dust to your lungs.
- The large table is made in very nice quality cast-iron and not just made in aluminum.
- It’s not really easy to change blades because it requires a time-consuming process and a complicated procedure such as loosening the tention, unhooking the bottom and top blade holders, taking the very small 4mm Allen wrench to loosen one of the two Allen screws, hooking the blade holders into the top and bottom hooks and tightening the tention.
- The light is not even that bright to light a dark working area. You are still going to have a hard time.
- The motor is actually not that powerful but it’s okay. In fact, it’s kind of slow, even at top speed and may not work especially when it comes to heavy duty projects.
- There are instances when motor would not hold a steady speed even with no load.
- Motor made strange buzzing sound and seized up entirely within minutes of being turned on.
- The hold-down level slips.
Overall, the Shop Fox W1713 Variable Speed Scroll Saw is a perfect tool for those who are looking for an affordable scroll saw for home use. It may not work for heavy duty tasks but for home use, this saw really goes a long way.
Read following best scroll saw reviews and choose your best scroll saw: