The Hoover F5914-900 SteamVac Carpet Cleaner was built to provide professional, deep carpet and upholstery cleaning, without having to rent a machine or hire a cleaning company. Not only that, it cleans bare floors, and is equipped to tackle heavy stains with an extra shot of cleaning solution, courtesy of its fingertip-operated Clean Surge feature. The spinning and scrubbing motion of the 5-cleaning brush system is powered by the 12 amp motor. There is a brush indicator light. A simple combination of hot tap water and cleaning solution is all that is needed to deeply clean rugs and other surfaces. Two tanks, one for clean water and the other for dirty water, help to efficiently deliver the cleaning combo. The 8-foot hose extends reach and this machine comes with a 1-year warranty.
Hoover F5914-900 SteamVac Carpet Cleaner Features:
- 12 amp motor
- Uses hot tap water and cleaning solution
- 2 water tanks; one for clean water, one for dirty
- 5 spinning, scrubbing brushes
- Hand and upholstery tools
- Clean Surge feature
- Brush rotation indicator
- Heated drying feature
- 8′ hose
- 16 oz. bottle of cleaning solution
- 1-year warranty
The Hoover F5914-900 truly cleans, since it does not spit back out the dirty water that it collected from one area into another. The separate tanks allow for only the clean water and cleaning solution combo to be propelled into the area. The dirty water is directed to its designated tank and never the does it go into the clean tank. The dirty tank is easy to remove and empty. The cleaning brushes are easily rinsed. There is a fast drying feature, which makes this unit great to use on last minute spills or spots. This also allows for surfaces to be utilized shortly after cleaning. All daily activity does not have to be put on hold or totally rearranged for carpet cleaning day. The spinning, scrubbing brush technology is also on the hand tool so stains on upholstered surfaces are not a problem to remove. All of this is backed by beltless Hoover technology, so there is no worry about broken or missing belts to halt cleaning.
How does the Hoover F5914-900 SteamVac Carpet Cleaner perform in real life? The pros and cons of this machine can be gleaned from customer feedback
- Following the instruction manual will save you from most of the negative review issues that have cropped up. The manual has a visual version as well as written instructions.
- The dirty water can be viewed as it is sucked up from the carpet or other surface. This viewing ability makes it possible to know when the area is moisture free. The heated drying function really does decrease the drying time of a newly cleaned surface.
- The separate tanks truly help the surface get clean. Going over a long neglected area a few times will eventually “restore” the surface. It is shocking to see how dirty the water is when this carpet cleaner is first used. It is easy to empty the dirty water tank on this unit.
- It is not necessary to use the carpet cleaner that is included with this Hoover machine.
- It is best to go slow and use the hand spinning brush tool on heavily soiled areas, whether they are on the floor or not (if the material can withstand the brush tool). Using the upholstery tool on more delicate materials/fabrics is key in damage prevention.
- The Hoover F5914-900 does work as well as a professional cleaner, if it is properly used. Professional cleaners have to go over certain areas with more attention and so do those who want the best results from this machine.
- This is a great product for the price.
- The power of the motor means that this unit does not heat the water, but the power of the motor outweights that.
- Even though hot water is recommended, boiling water can be used at one’s own risk.
- Suction will not occur if everything is not properly put into place in this unit. This way there is no risk of the dirty water mixing into the clean water tank.
- Most who have used this unit have found that their carpets and upholstery look like new again, after using this Hoover cleaner.
- Many who have used this carpet cleaner have said that this the best cleaner that they have used.
- Of the thousands of reviews on this product, about two-thirds of them are 5-star.
- It leaks.
- The brushes become caked with debris.
- It does not heat the water.
- The plastic parts seem cheap. The plastic connections seem to be less sturdy in some of the later productions of this unit.
- It has a short cord.
- The dirty water tank fills up before the clean one is emptied. This means that cleaning has to be halted to empty it more often than expected. It is not as easy to relatch the dirty water tank as is hoped and the cleaner will not have any suction until it is properly relatched.
- You have to spend more time on heavily soiled areas.
- The Hoover F5914-900 does not seem to work on berber carpet. It seems to not be able to remove the moisture from this style of carpet.
Overall, most consumers have had a very positive experience with the Hoover F5914-900 SteamVac Carpet Cleaner. There are those who had defective units, but most have had negative experiences based on not fully reading the intructions. The brushes of this unit have to be cleaned after using it, then put away. There is an initial set up step that has to take place in order to prevent leaking. When people use this unit properly, they are very pleased with its performance. Hoover designed this multi-surface steam cleaner to work as well as a professional machine, and it does if it is used the way that a professionals use their machines. This unit from Hoover does not perform miracles, but for those who have enjoyed the cleaning results of this machine, it is close to that as far as elbow grease and steam cleaning goes.