The DEWALT DW788 Variable-Speed Scroll Saw belongs to the excellent industrial tools manufactured by Dewalt; a popular company. This is one great-performing saw that features a dependable 1.3 amp motor that delivers 400 spm to 1,750 spm. Among other scroll saws, most professionals rave about this saw a lot as it is indeed a powerful saw. And since it is Dewalt, claiming quality in this saw’s performance, build, design and convenience, is not an overstatement because you can be sure of the impressive cuts you can make when you use this scroll saw.
DEWALT DW788 Variable-Speed Scroll Saw Features
- double parallel-link arm design
- convenient controls engineered by DEWALT
- an on-off switch
- speed control
- blade-tensioning lever
- flexible dust blower
- 1.3 amp motor
- tool-free blade clamps
- adjustable cast-iron table
- Weight: 56 pounds
- Length: 29.50 inches
- Width: 19.50 inches
- Height: 12.13 inches
- A hex wrench
- three-year limited warranty
- one-year free service contract
- 90-day money-back guarantee
This DW788 Variable-Speed Scroll Saw features truly great quality performance. It comes with 1.3 Amp motor so it gives the power to make smooth and precise cuts. It is also powerful despite the fact that it runs only with 100V power supply. In other words, this scroll saw is equipped with features that allow it to provide a quality performance when creating smooth, precise, fine and clean cuts. Its quality performance is also owing to its twenty inch throat feature. Also, the mechanism works so smoothly that very little vibration occurs even if it is powerful. This DW788 Variable-Speed Scroll Saw also features a dust blower like other scroll saws. But the blower on the Dewalt saw is the best in performance as it keeps a circle about 2 inches in diameter around the blade clear of dust so the cutting line is clearly seen.
This DEWALT DW788 Variable-Speed Scroll Saw also features 56 pounds of weight and although it is not that lightweight, it is not that heavy to move around easily. It also features tool-free blade clamps and a quick release for the blade that makes it easy to change blades in just a matter of seconds. It also comes with a very repeatable and easy to adjust blade tension as well as a fast blade insertion feature that allows only a few seconds to thread the blade though a hole and reconnect the blade. For convenience, it also features an oversized, cast-iron table that works really nice and provides excellent support for the work piece. The convenient controls integrated in this scroll saw help a lot too as they make changing blades as well as changing speed a breeze. Plus, the controls also give convenient control on this saw.
The DW788 Variable-Speed Scroll Saw features a reduced-vibration design that allows users to work without being bothered by vibration. This feature also prevents other tools placed on the table from falling off it. This saw also features blade holders that are designed better and requires no maintenance during the year of use.
This DW788 scroll saw features a solid steel build which explains why it is a little heavier than other scroll saws. This also explains its guaranteed sturdiness and durability so it not only looks sturdy but it indeed feels sturdy and is made to really last long despite the wear and tear. It truly has an impressive build quality and it shows through its unique and attractive appearance. Its build quality feature makes this saw highly preferred since for its affordable price; it greatly surpasses the quality of other more expansive scroll saws out there.
Pros and Cons of DEWALT DW788 Variable-Speed Scroll Saw
The DW788 Variable-Speed Scroll Saw is the most reviewed scroll saw in the market because of its great build and performance quality. A lot of users have something to say about this magnificent scroll saw regarding its pros and cons.
- It has very low vibration and a very smooth operation.
- It has a fairly quiet operation and does not produce annoying noise that could hurt your ears and disturb your neighbors.
- It is easy to assemble and as soon as the saw is taken out of the box and placed on the table, it’s good to go in a jiffy.
- It effectively produces precise clean cuts.
- Blade insertion is very fast and easy and it takes only a few seconds so you can start work right away.
- It is a powerful saw even if it uses only 100v power supply.
- It has a very attractive design.
- You don’t have to use a tool to loosen and tighten the blade clamps as the set screws on this saw can be turned by built-in thumbscrews.
- The weight is a pro even if it is a little heavy because the extra mass absorbs vibration so it will not move while it is running.
- The cast iron table may be convenient but the surface wears out around the blade hole causing work to drag on the table.
- The table requires constant waxing to keep the surface slippery because without wax, the materials tend to snag on the keyhole.
- The top arm may be good as it swings back to give you room to thread the blade but it is not spring loaded which is a bad thing as it could cause accidents.
- It is not reliable enough.
- Although the big steel table is a nice feature, it has a tendency to rust easily.
- It does have a dust blower but not a reliable dust collection system to keep the fine dust down and away from entering your lungs. You may need a face mask to protect you when you are working.
Overall, the DEWALT DW788 Variable-Speed Scroll Saw is an excellent saw for the advanced amateur scroll worker. You will not only get terrific power every time you do your woodwork, but you can also assure yourself that you would be getting very precise cuts that would make your overall project a masterpiece.
Read following best scroll saw reviews and choose your best scroll saw: