DEWALT has been a household name in power tools and it is not a surprise that when you mention DEWALT, anyone will agree that the name means true value and pride. The DEWALT DCD985L2 is a hammer and power drill combined providing a huge convenience of using only one tool for two separate jobs. This power tool proudly boasts of the use of DEWALT electronics that provides efficient power for tools plus function that lives to its use.
With DEWALT’s electronics, power tool motors are used extensively to provide the most power for any type of jobs; it is also the technology behind using the tool as much as you can with immediately draining battery life. So this basically means more power for all the projects that you can think of that needs fastening, drilling and hammering.
DEWALT DCD985L2 20-Volt Hammer Drill Features
- Weighs 11.6 pounds and measures 13.1 x 16 x 4.9 inches
- Cordless-electric hammer drill
- Uses 20 volts, uses Lithium ion batteries that provides 35% more runtime
- Powered by a 535 unit watt motor
- Comes with a three speed hammer drill (0-600, 0-1.250 and 0-2,000 RPM)
- Has a ½ inch metal ratcheting chuck with carbide inserts
- With a slim handle
- With a built-in LED light
- Energy Star certified
- With a 3 year limited warranty, 1 year free service contract and a 90-day money back guarantee.
- The battery pack comes with a 3-year free service contract.
- Purchase comes with a one-hour charger, two 20-volt lithium-ion batteries, a 360 degree side handle and a plastic storage and carrying case.
DEWALT a household name
The DEWALT DCD985L2 offers convenience plus utmost performance that is expected from a powerful drill plus it has a variety of features that can be worth it when you are using this cordless hammer/drill for an important DIY project. And although there may be other cordless drills and hammers in the market today, it could still be a wiser choice to rely on a household name when it comes to power tools.
Advantages of using the DEWALT DCD985L2 20-Volt Hammer Drill
- Being cordless is one of the most important advantages of the DEWALT DCD985L2 20-Volt Hammer Drill. A corded power tool will only leave you scrambling for power cord extensions, power outlets and power strips and only to freak out when there are blackouts and power outages that can delay the completion of your projects. A cordless tool like this hammer/drill will provide you with uninterrupted project time without the worries about tripping or leaving the tool plugged in that can cause accidents.
- The motor is ideal for home-based DIY projects; you can use it for any kind of fastening and drilling projects without overlooking the overall performance and quality of the tool.
- The ergonomic grip reduces the possibility of hand pain, wrist and lower arm pain which is very common in extended use of high –powered power tools. The handle has a rubber grip and is angled ideally to allow your hands to totally grip the tool and still maintain control on the trigger. The tool weighs a heavy 11.6 pounds; you could end up in pain if you use this tool for an extended amount of time and thus ergonomic enhancements such as these are always a welcome sight.
- The DEWALT DCD985L2 has three speed levels so the user may use the most appropriate speed for his work. It is true that there are jobs that require a much slower drilling speed to meet torque requirements. These three speeds are also ideal in working with different materials since different surfaces require a specific speed to provide utmost perfection in any project.
- The carbide-laden ratcheting chuck shows that this drilling and fastening tool is made of heavy-duty stuff. This does not just mean that the power tool is strong but it will also withstand countless use and still be able to handle more future projects.
- The LED work light is ideal for working on fastening and drilling projects in minimal light or when you need to steadily check on the progress of the project closely. The LED light is ideal for this kind of power tool since it uses very minimal power while providing the most light. LED lights are also very durable; you may never have to replace an LED bulb for as long as you use this tool.
- The DEWALT DCD985L2 comes with a 3 year limited warranty as well as the battery pack which is unheard of in most power tools..
Disadvantages of using the DEWALT DCD985L2 20-Volt Hammer Drill
- The DEWALT DCD985L2 is heavier than most cordless drills and may seriously affect your work especially when you are drilling or fastening something overhead. The ergonomic handle is a blessing but won’t be too much help when you are using the drill for a terribly extended amount of time.
- The battery pack may drain faster when used regularly which is also a very common complaint in most cordless power tools. The only option therefore is to purchase a separate battery pack so you can immediately work with a fresh set of batteries as you wait for the other set to recharge. Be sure to recharge the battery adequately or as recommended by the manufacturer.
- The carrying case seems to be flimsy and consumers who have bought this drill believes that a better case construction must be at hand for such an expensive drill.
Overall, the DEWALT DCD985L2 is a durable and an efficient cordless power drill and hammer that will come in handy for most home projects and workshop jobs. Its ratcheting chuck is strong which is perfect for any surface and with its three speeds, you can manually adjust the tool’s efficiency and power which will be handy in low-torque projects. The DEWALT DCD985L2 has some disadvantages like its fast-draining battery after several months of use as well as its weight but all in all, the positives or the advantages certainly makes up for its few disadvantages.