The DEWALT DC390B Cordless Circular Saw is designed to handle a multitude of cutting tasks, with the convenience of working cord-free. This 18-volt circular saw packs plenty of power. This bare tool only option is perfect for the person who already has a compatible 18-volt battery and charger, but is in need of a supercharged circular saw.
DEWALT DC390B Cordless Circular Saw Features:
- 3,700 RPM
- 6-1/2″ Carbide-tipped blade
- Blade wrench
- Shoe and upper guard made of high strength Magnesium
- 0-50 degrees bevel capability
- Motor cooled by fan with replaceable brushes
- Weight: 6.3 pounds
- Dimensions: 8.9” x 15.9” x 10.5”
- 3-year limited warranty
- 1-year of free service
The design of the DEWALT DC390B provides 3,700 RPM of cutting power without the inconvenience of a cord. It is powered by an 18-volt battery, but this model is bare tool only. That means those who already have a DC9096 18-volt XRP battery pack and DW9117 15-minute charger (or other compatible battery and charger) will be able to use this supercharged circular saw for a variety of cutting applications. The 6-1/2” carbide-tipped blade can be used to cut plywood, hardwood, softwood, particleboard, oriented-strand board, and almost any other sheet. The speed of this saw is ideal for ripping building lumber and crosscutting. The material of the blade offers twice the cutting ability at 45 and 90 degrees. The 0-50 degrees of bevel capability adds to the versitility of this saw’s utilizations.
The upper guard and shoe of the DEWALT DC390B is made of high strength Magnesium, which increases the durability of this circular saw. The motor is cooled by a fan, which helps it stand up under all of the cutting power that it generates. Rubbercoated handle helps to reduce the vibration level to allow for a more comfortable cutting experience. The 3-year limited warranty, which kicks in from the purchase date, covers tool defects caused by faulty materials or manufacturing. There is also a 1-year free service warranty under which DEWALT covers tool maintenance and replacement of parts worn down by normal use, free of charge.
What do those who have used the DEWALT DC390B Cordless Circular Saw have to say about the performance of this tool? An overview of customer feedback will reveal the pros and cons of this DEWALT power tool.
- This cordless saw is great for cutting in places where having a corded tool is a limitation. It is a good saw for cutting sheets of material since the need to extend one’s reach is not hampered by the cord. Not having to use extensiton cords with this saw is a definite plus.
- For a right-handed person or cut, this saw allows a drawn line to be seen while cutting along it, because the blade is mounted to the left of the motor. It is easy to handle in the left or right hand.
- Framing in a bathroom can be achieved with this tool in the mix. This saw has been used over the course of a weekend to build a spa deck and stairs. This saw is a good one to grab for small finish cuts.
- If you go slower with this saw, letting it do the work, then this saw cuts through pretty much anything a corded one will. Changing the type of blade offers more cutting versitility from this saw. The blade speed is more than suitable for cutting framing all day. Using a plywood blade will enable this saw to make “smooth cuts in cabinet grade birch.”
- The safety device on the trigger was easy to get used to.
- With the right 18-volt battery, this saw gets the job done. This tool can be used with a NiCAD or lithium ion battery. This saw is a great price if you already have compatible 18-volt battery and charger.
- This saw is very light. The weight of this saw is great.
- The wrench for the blade is stored on the saw.
- The blade does not “free spin” after turning of the saw.
- This is a great saw for the light duty home owner.
- The handle placement is awkward.
- Depending on the batter one uses, it will run out of juice quickly.
- It does not rotate as fast as a corded saw.
- The trigger is not easy to use.
- If a person does not already have a compatible battery and charger, then a kit is a better value.
- The version of this saw in the cordless combo kit seems to be inferior to the solo version.
- This saw does not seem to come with a rip fence.
- It does not spin as fast as a corded saw.
- It does not cut as well or as many types of materials as a corded saw.
Overall, this 6-1/2″ cordless circular saw from DEWALT seems to perform well if it is properly used. There was apparently some past confusion with the description of this saw, which led some buyers to be disatisfied with the fact that it is only the bare tool. Those who knew were not disappointed by the lack of battery. It is important to use a powerful battery (full size) unless you have more than one so that charging can take place, while the saw is in use with the other battery. This tool tends to rotate slower than corded saws, but going slow seems to get the task at hand accomplished. Those who wanted to be able to use this saw at the same speed as a corded tool, were disappointed. The DEWALT DC390B Cordless Circular Saw really does seem to offer the convenience of not having to deal with cords and has versitile cutting capacity. Reading the customer reviews gives plenty of further insight into what to expect from this tool and how it may best be used.