Drills are nice tools one can add to his or her tool collection. They are very handy tools for very handy fixes and repairs. They are good for simple tasks that no longer require hiring a handyman. This is why drills like the Bosch 36618-02 Compact-Tough Litheon Drill are sought after by many DIYers and homeowners nowadays.
Bosch 36618-02 Compact-Tough Litheon Drill Features
- lithium-ion battery technology
- Bosch’s proprietary ECP (Electronic Cell Protection) system
- speeds up to 1,600 RPM
- 500 in./lbs. of torque
- Durashield Housing
- steel-reinforced collar
- single-sleeve 1/2-inch chuck
- 20 clutch settings
- variable-speed trigger
- LED light
- 30-minute charger
- double-ended bit
- carrying case
- weighs 10.2 pounds
Power and Ease of Use
One thing that makes the Bosch 36618-02 Compact-Tough Litheon Drill preferred is because of its power source. It is not an electric drill that one can just plug in to use. Rather, it is a battery operated drill by which it uses a state-of-art lithium-ion battery technology. These batteries are responsible for giving this drill that power one needs to accomplish his or her DIY projects successfully. The user even have the choice between a slim pack and fat pack battery by which these two types of batteries are included upon purchase. Once the battery powers up this drill, it gives off speeds of up to 1,600 RPM and a torque of about 500 in./lbs.
Another thing that consumers should know about the Bosch 36618-02 is that it is easy to use. The single-sleeve 1/2-inch chuck allows users to change the bit single-handedly while the LED lights make it comfortable to use even in low light. Compared to electric drills, battery operated drills such as this Bosch drill can save a lot of bucks for users. And since the batteries used are lithium ion, power is not compromised.
Pros of Using the Bosch 36618-02 Compact-Tough Litheon Drill
- This drill is a winner when it comes to power. In fact, it even has an excellent power to weight ratio. This is why it is good for multiple tasks whether hanging doors and installing cabinets, or other projects even with its compact size.
- It comes with a LED light so that users can use the drill conveniently even in dark areas or during the night.
- It is battery operated and even includes 2 packs of batteries so one can always have one on the charger while using the other one.
- It comes with a slim pack battery which makes this drill lightweight.
- The battery life of this drill is longer than other batteries because they are lithium ion. One can use it a long time even if it requires only a short charging time.
- It comes with a useful and adjustable chuck that helps prevent over-drilling.
- The chuck can be adjusted using one hand and makes a click when it is tight enough.
- The chuck is smooth-running and gives no run-out.
- It comes with 18v of power but it is lightweight.
- It comes with variable speed.
- It comes with a charger that charges quickly.
- It comes with a sturdy case for easy transport.
- It has a special rubber in the grip that feels great and makes the drill comfortable to use.
Cons of Using the Bosch 36618-02 Compact-Tough Litheon Drill
- It is not as comfortable as other drills and even if it is said to have a rubber grip, the handle is configured at a bit of an angle so when using the spade bit, the back of the drill tends to press into the hands. There is also the tendency that the fingers could naturally move to the bottom of the trigger and make the user feel comfortable while using it.
- The location of the LED light is awkward and makes it pointless as it gets impeded by the drill and chuck and does not illuminate the end of the chuck, making users feel like they are working in the shadows.
- It comes with a double screwdriver rubber bit holder that retains the bits very poorly and makes the bits fall out even with the slightest bump.
- It has a way too large carrying case and this makes the charger and spare battery rattle inside.
Overall, the Bosch 36618-02 Compact-Tough Litheon Drill could be a joy to use considering its handiness. It is a great option for those who want a lightweight drill without sacrificing its power. However, some features of this drill require tweaking and for those who cannot tolerate it, this drill may not be a great deal.