Best Electric Lawn Mower Reviews 2014
No.1 Black & Decker SPCM1936 Cordless Electric Lawn Mower Review(Price: $378.77)
The SPCM1936 19-Inch 36-Volt Cordless Electric Self-Propelled Lawn Mower boasts of a myriad of cutting-edge features that makes it a cut above the rest. The lawn mower features a removable battery that can be charged virtually anywhere, thereby making the machine portable.
No.2 Black & Decker MM875 Electric Mulching Mower Review(Price: $215.99)
The Black & Decker MM875 Lawn Hog 19-Inch 12 amp Electric Mulching Mower is a powerful and sturdy electric lawn mower that boasts of a myriad of cutting-edge features such as an electric motor for added power as well as the capacity to discharge debris at the rear or bag the mulch. The ergonomic design makes it possible to cut any type of grass as it easily adjusts to grass dimension.
No.3 WORX WG789 Electric Lawn Mower Review(Price: $496.97)
Sleek, stylish and power are the only words that can be used to describe the WORX WG789 19-Inch 36 Volt Cordless Pace Setter Self Propelled 3-In-1 Lawn Mower. Consequently, the phrase tasking is taken out of the equation when using this cordless self-propelled lawn mower to cut the grass in your back or front yard.
No.4 WORX WG783 Electric Lawn Mower Review(Price: $230.00)
The WORX WG783 Lil’ Mo 14-Inch 24-Volt Cordless 3-In-1 Lawn Mower is an ergonomically designed and built lawn mower that makes it extremely easier for users to cut grasses. By eliminating cords in the design, the manufacturer made certain that you do not have to be overly concerned about damaging the charging cord should it come into the path of mowing.
No.5 Greenworks 25022 Electric Lawn Mower Review(Price: $169.99)
One of the reasons why you need to consider purchasing the Greenworks 25022 20-Inch 12 Amp Electric 3-in1 Discharge Lawn Mower is the zero carbon footprint. Whereas gas propelled lawn mowers are cheap and have a wide cutting deck, they are not eco-friendly since they generate harmful emissions to the air.
No.6 Black & Decker LM175 Electric Lawn Mower Review(Price: $143.09)
Given the amount of harmful emissions produced by gas propelled lawn mowers, more and more homeowners are increasingly beginning to opt for electric driven lawn mowers. Not only do they cost less to maintain since you do not have to worry about pre-season tune ups and normal maintenance practices such as replacing gas and oil filters.
Selecting the right lawn mower can be an uphill task given that there are hundreds of brands and models available in the market. Lawn mowers not only differ from one another in terms of price and size, but also mode of operation. Electric lawn mowers are increasingly gaining popularity amongst homeowners because of efficiency and ease of operations. Still, there are numerous factors that you need to keep in mind when buying an electric lawn mower. This article section discusses into detail some of the factors that you need to consider when shopping for a lawn mower.
Electric Lawn Mower Buying Guide
#1: Mode of Operation
Foremost, you need to take into consideration the mode of operation. For instance, would you like a gas or electric powered lawn mower? Generally, there are three groups of lawn mowers to make your selection from. These are:
– Push Reel Lawn Mowers: These types of lawn mowers are powered by the user. They are smooth and quiet and do not require recharging, hence eliminating the need for rechargeable batteries and cords. They are also eco-friendly as they do not require any kind of fuel to operate. Unfortunately, these types of lawn mowers are not efficient when used for mowing grasses that are taller.
– Electric Lawn Mowers: These types of lawn mowers have to be plugged to a mains power source. Consequently, the mowing radius will be restricted by the size of the cord. What’s more is that, you cannot use the lawn mower close to bushes and trees as the cord will easily be entangled by these objects. Electric lawn mowers are ideal for small yards, especially if you do not want to strain pushing the reel lawn mower.
– Cordless Lawn Mower: These types of lawn mowers are powered by rechargeable batteries. In contrast to electric lawn mowers, you do not have to worry about where to plug where to plug the lawn mower or restricted by the length of the power cord. Regrettably, most cordless lawn mowers have a battery life of roughly 45 minutes. Besides, you can only work on an area that is not more than 6,000 square feet.
– Gas Lawn Mowers: In contrast to electric and cordless lawn mower, gas propelled lawn mowers are extremely powerful. This in turn makes the gas powered lawn mowers more efficient for cutting thick and tall grass. In addition, you can mow a large area using gas mowers compared reel, electric and cordless mowers. Regrettably, gas mowers are disadvantaged in the following areas:
- They require pre-season tuning.
- They emit harmful gasses to the atmosphere.
- They are noisy.
- They require a lot of money to operate and maintain.
#2: Power Measurements
Next, you need to take into consideration the power measurement. The wattage built into the lawn mower will determine the rate at which the blade will move. The greater the wattage output, the faster the blade movement. Listed below, are some of the power measurements that are used on a lawn mower and what they signify:
– Horsepower (i.e. HP). This basically denotes the amount of power wattage that the lawn mower engine can generate.
– Torque. This simply refers to the sum of horsepower that is transferable to the blade.
– Cubic Centimeters (i.e. CC). This is also another term that is commonly used to gauge the power in the lawn mower’s engine and is based on the displacement of volume within the cylinder.
Now that you have familiarized yourself with the different types of lawn mowers accessible in the market as well as the power measurements used to determine how powerful a particular lawn mower is, let’s now look at the features that you need to look for when shopping for an effective lawn mower:
- Cutting deck: This term denotes the blade casing. A bigger cutting deck means that you will make fewer passes on a particular area when mowing. Then again, the number of passes made will hinge on the number of obstacles in your compound. On the other hand, lawn mowers with bigger cutting deck are less likely to fit in tight places.
- Mulching and bagging: If you are keen on using leaf clippings to organically fertilize your backyard, it is highly recommended that you purchase a lawn mower with mulches. On the other hand, if you would like to collect the clippings and dispose of them, then consider purchasing a lawn mower with bagging. The good news is that, there are brands that come with the option to bag or mulch.
- Height adjustment: Given that not everybody is of the same size, it is crucial that you purchase a lawn mower with height adjustment. By choosing a height and posture you are comfortable with, you will be able to effectively mow your lawn.
Other features you need to look out for when shopping for the best lawn mower are wheels, cord holders, variable speed, self-propellers, batteries and safety.